Thursday, December 13, 2012

Interview with the International


Interview with the International- Audio Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/oliviamsuarez/interview-with-the

(Click on the link above)

(NARRATION:) Texas Student Television just got a little more Aussie. Joseph Wang, an international student from Australia, is one of the TV station's newest volunteers. The computer science junior spends his time participating in VGHL, or Videogame Hour Live. I met up with Joseph at the Student Activity Center and got insight of his time at UT.

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "Where in Australia are you from?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "I'm from Sydney, Australia, so one of the big capital cities in Australia." 

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "Nice. So as far as the Sydney Opera House, do you see that all the time where you live?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "Well my university's pretty close to the heart of the city, so occasionally we take a bus downtown and yeah, go check out the Circular Quay, the Opera House, and Frog Hollow Bridge." 

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "And do you do stuff like 'find Nemo'?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) (laughs) "I've tried, I've tried looking hard, but no such luck."

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "And what inspired you to become an international student? What program are you on?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "I'm part of the University of Sydney Study Abroad Program, that basically involves me coming here for a semester to study subjects related to my major. So, my major is computer science. I chose UT because America is a really, really interesting country for me because as a computer science major, all of the technology jobs and such are centered in America, especially like San Francisco and even Austin, there's a really big start-up scene here, where a bunch of new companies are rising up. Austin also really has a great social scene: there's a lot of music festivals and things going on. So I went to Austin City Limits a few weeks ago, which is really amazing, and like, all the bands just seem to come through this city. It always feels like there's something to do here. There's never a dull moment in Austin."

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "What is the common reaction you get when you talk to a stranger or friends for the first time?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "A lot of people don't actually pick up on the accent. You begin talking and some people will be like, 'Are you not from America?', and I'll be like 'Yeah, do you want to guess where I'm from?'. And then I'll talk a bit more and they'll be like 'Australia?', and I'll be like, 'Yep.'."  

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "You're a computer science major. Did that kind of influence you to join VGHL?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "Yeah, definitely. Like, as a computer science major, I'm always around computers. There's a gaming culture within computer science; I say like everyone likes to play videogames. I've been playing videogames since I was a young kid, from like, Nintendo 64 to today, like Xbox 360. And yeah, like VGHL just seemed like a really fantastic opportunity."

(NARRATION:) VGHL, which airs Tuesdays at 9 PM, is one of the few shows shot live. I went with Joseph to watch the show's Halloween episode. 

(NAT SOUND POP) " 9, 8, 7, 6-Get ready Tyler-, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...GO!" "Alright...we're doing an hour live (clapped hands)." "And ready?" "Play logo, play logo...we're going back to him." (laughter) "We're going live on Daniel...we're live on Daniel! We're live on Daniel. Tell him he's up." (laughter) Daniel: "(laughter) Sorry. Welcome to Videogame Hour Live, my name is Daniel Jenkins."

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "Do you just volunteer, or do you have like a position on the show?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "Um, yeah I just volunteering. I just wander around. I've done sound once, I've shadowed Tricaster, and I've been on camera once."

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "Do you plan on doing like, anymore segments...on camera?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "Um yeah. I'm hoping to do a review, so now I'm playing a game called Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which is a racing game. You're trying to drive away from the cops and you're bashing into all of the other cars. It's a lot of fun, and yeah, hopefully I'll get enough time to finish the game so I can review for VGHL."

(NARRATION:) During his time at the broadcast, Joseph worked on his upcoming review for on Need for Speed by playing the game on his laptop.

(NAT SOUND POP) "Click it, click it easy, bro." (clicking of videogame buttons) "Push it good...yeah!" "Oh what are you playing...what are you playing?" "Need for Speed: Most Wanted." "Ah you're playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted on your COMPUTER?! That's rad." "Yeah...high resolution textures, you know?" "Push it, push it real good." (laughter)

(NARRATION:) After observing for awhile, Joseph handed the controller to me, and my skills were put to the test.

(NAT SOUND POP) "And you go 'Start Race'." (videogame music) "So far so good...I mean I've hit stuff but it's..." (laughter) "Down, so..." (clicking of videogame buttons) "Do I just go like that (yeah)...oh!" "Ah, nice!" "Yay!" "Lambda girl!" (videogame music) "Oh God...what am I doing?" (laughter, followed by a gasp) "Oh no!" (laughter)

(NARRATION:) Needless to say, I realized I should stick to reporting instead. 

(NARRATION:) As his semester abroad draws to a close, Joseph reflected on his UT experience. 

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "What are you going to take from this whole experience here?"

(JOSEPH WANG:) "Definitely a lot of memories. It's sort of changed my perspective on life a little bit, because this is also the first time that I've lived out of home for an extended period of time. Ha, trying to fend for myself, cooking and cleaning and doing grocery shopping and all that sort of stuff." 

(OLIVIA SUAREZ:) "And you're on the other side of the world too!"

(JOSEPH WANG:) (laughs) "Yeah, that as well!"

(NARRATION:) This is Olivia Suarez reporting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment